Comments

If you wish to add a comment to any of my articles please do so as I am always pleased to have a contribution from any reader as this increases the interest for other visitors.

Wednesday 2 September 2015

Five Peacock Butterflies in my Photography Hide.

I've posted these images not because they are of a particularly interesting subject – although to an entomologist they might be – but to show an experiment I tried.

I entered my garden hide this morning, and discovered these five 'Peacock Butterflies' tucked under a ledge.

As there isn't much room inside I changed the lens to my Canon 18-55mm as I couldn't get a focus with the 55-250mm. All the images were taken in shutter priority with the Canon 70D choosing the f/ and ISO.


Image 1 was taken with the on-camera flash – only one I have – and was at 1/250 sec, f/3.5, ISO Auto (@400). The lens was at 18mm as I couldn't seem to get focus at any other focal length.


For image 2 I put a 13mm extension tube – which I'd recently purchased – onto the 18-55 to see if I could get more detail. Again the shot was taken with the on-camera flash and was at 1/250 sec, f/5.0, ISO Auto (@400). The lens was at 40mm.


As I didn't like the shadows caused by the flash I tried a long exposure time. Image 3 was taken at 15.0 secs, f/11, ISO Auto (@100) and the lens at 48mm. By now there were only four 'Peacocks' as one had warmed-up and flown.


Image 4 was taken from a slightly different angle at 5.0 secs, f/5.0, ISO Auto (@125) and the lens at 46mm.

By now all but one 'Peacock' had warmed up and flown. As an aside, I could see each butterfly start to quiver shortly before it took flight.

© Elliot Sampford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and add your name rather than 'Anonymous' to your comment, as it may not be published. In the 'Comment as' box above use the drop-down menu and select 'Name/URL'. In the 'Edit profile' pop-up enter your name and press continue. There will be a period of delay before your comment appears on the article until I receive the automatic notification that you have made one and can authorised its publication.

Any comment that includes vulgar language, racist remarks or anything of that nature will either be edited or not published at my discretion.